It’s that time of year when many young adults will be heading off to take a ‘Gap Year’. For all this will be a year of discovery; of new cultures, new friends and of themselves. Often this will be planned out months in advance, whilst for some it could be something of a spur-of-the-moment decision.
For parents this can something of a daunting experience, fighting the urge to keep their kids close whilst understanding the need to promote independence. Getting the emotional balance can be tricky – you can’t care too much.
MiFile offers a great addition to the ‘must have’ essentials when planning your trip. Simply get a Membership Card, which includes a card for your wallet and another smaller one that can be attached to your keys, camera, backpack or any other item your traveller is going to have on them. Then, in the event of an emergency, anyone can help them and easily notify you by SMS – wherever they are in the world!
Here’s our list of top 10-items to add to have on your travels:
- Passport – unless you’re staying in the UK, this isn’t optional;
- Money, preferably in the form of traveller’s cheques or plastic cards. Let your bank know you’ll be out the country;
- Your phone, with suitable apps that can work online and offline, also make sure you check your roaming package;
- Travel insurance – don’t cut this corner. Accidents do happen and costs can quickly rack up;
- MiFile, to make sure that you can quickly be connected with family in case you can’t speak for yourself;
- Camera – it’s fine to use your phone, but remember these are memories to last a lifetime;
- Backpack – you’re going to be living out of this, so make sure it’s strong and well built;
- Travel adaptors – keeping all your tech running is important and trying to borrow/ buy this later will slow you down;
- Local guide book – pick up a travel book in the style that suits your visit. It will help you get the most out of your visit and also has good advice for any local emergency contact numbers;
- Basic medical pack – take some sun cream, pain killers, cough mixture, plasters and imodium. This’ll help with most small incidents.
You’ve got to let them find their independence, so just prepare them as best you can. A MiFile Membership is great for a number of reasons:
- It only costs £10 for a whole year!
- It’s international, wherever someone can get online, they can help your child;
- It’s secure, we don’t share any personal information like name, address or emails – just the details that can help in delivering care;
- Mobile numbers for two key contacts can be added, meaning an SMS alert can quickly be dealt with to connect you in the event of an emergency.
Check out the rest of the site to find out more, or buy one now.
The deal is you have to make it back safe and sound, with all those pictures and stories. Keep your MiFile card in your wallet and the other on something else you have with you. Put it on a key ring ahead of time and you’ll have all kinds of choices on how to attach it to your backpack, camera bag or even on your belt!
So, enjoy it! This is an amazing time and will be an awesome experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life!